Sunday June 2nd 11am:
Mass & Flag Raising at Memorial
What: Flag Raising at The Irish Memorial
When: June 2nd 11am
Join us at The Irish Memorial on June 2nd at 11 am for mass and our Flag Raising Ceremony.
This special ceremony only happens 4 times a year. The Memorial makes it possible for individuals and groups to host the changing of the flags. Those that have had the honor of taking part find a renewed sense of pride and solidarity with their fellow countrymen and all immigrants that have made that difficult decision to leave another country and find a new life in America.
The Flag Raising Ceremony
• For the ceremony, The Irish Memorial is transformed for participants and for the public. Mass is celebrated in the surroundings of the Memorial (seating is available).
• The second stage is the flag raising where the honorees take part. First, the US National Anthem is sung and the existing American flag is taken down by the honorees that helped to raise the flag at the last ceremony, with help from Irish Memorial staff. It is then folded and presented to these honorees.
• Then the new flag is unfolded and raised by the new honorees.
• Next, the Irish national anthem is sung and then the existing flag lowered by the honorees from the last ceremony, with help from Irish Memorial staff. It is then folded and presented to these honorees.
• Then the new flag is unfolded and raised by the new honorees. (They will return to lower their flags at the next flag raising ceremony in September).
Our flag raising group on June 2nd will be an Irish-American family from Delaware County. They are very excited to have been chosen for the honor. We will feature pictures and stories from their day on our site after the event!
If you are interested in participating in a future flag raising ceremony contact firstname.lastname@example.org.